- What is Google Books?
Google Books lets you find the world’s books while helping authors and publishers reach new audiences.
Books are discovered through Google Search and our partners, displayed in your browser, and delivered to your library on any Internet-connected device for free.
When you find a book that interests you, click the “Read now” button and start reading. Google will save a copy of the book to your browser so you can read it again and again—whenever and wherever you like.
Where can I find books?
Google Books lets you discover and read over 20 million free, out-of-print books that aren’t available anywhere else online. Books are listed in your browser whenever you visit Google Books and click the “Read.”
Google has expanded its Library Project in a continuing attempt to support smaller publishers and other copyright holders. The program scanned an additional two million book titles from public and university libraries across the United States in the past year.
The project aims to scan all books ever published within the next few years. “We’re excited about this milestone,” said Adam Smith, Google Books’ manager of partnerships for publisher and author relations. “But it’s just another step in our ongoing effort to digitize the world’s books.”
Users can now find more than 10 million book titles through Google Book Search at google.com/books.
For a monthly fee, publishers can host their content on The Google Books Partner Program website, found at books.google.com. Google offers publishers the opportunity to upload their content and manage rights information for books in an online catalog included as part of the partner program. The fee covers hosting services, rights management; updates; support; technical support; and more than 1 million downloads of the digital files.
Once Google has completed its digitization efforts, publishers and authors can use the tools provided by the partner program to determine how they want their content to appear in search results and control whether or not users can preview books online or download them. Publishers also hold the right to host copies of their works on their Web sites and make them available for purchase as e-books.
The partner program has successfully attracted several publishers, including Cambridge University Press, Greenwood Publishing Group, and Marshall Cavendish. Google’s ambitions include ambitious plans to scan all books published before the end of the decade.
These efforts have benefited authors as well as publishers by increasing awareness of their content. “Google Books has been a positive development for authors because it exposes their work to a much larger audience,” said Charles Nesson, professor, and co-founder of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School.
“But there is little question that many book publishers and authors will be anxious about how these projects pan out. Google’s intentions have never been fully clear.”
Mr. Nesson, who worked with Google on several copyright issues about its digitization efforts, cautioned that publishers should temper their expectations about revenue derived from these projects. “Google is not primarily a publisher of content, but an intermediary for advertising,” he said. Have you ever wished to find a book online but could not find it? If you have, then worry no longer. Here are instructions on how to add a book to Google Books.
Find the book you wish to upload to Google Books. Type either “add this book” or “book submission” into your search engine of choice. Click on the first link. Fill out all the required information and upload your file! Once finished, choose whether you want to make your document public or private within your Google Books account settings. You will then be able to create an entry for your newly added book that will appear in other people’s searches for that particular book!
How to add a book to Google Books?
|1||Prepare Your Content: Ensure your e-books and audiobooks are properly formatted and meet Google’s content quality standards.|
|2||Create a Google Account: If you don’t have one, create a Google account. You will need this to access Google Play Books.|
|3||Join the Google Play Books Partner Program: Go to the Google Play Books Partner Program website and sign in with your Google account. Enroll in the program.|
|4||Provide Tax and Banking Information: Enter your tax information and set up a banking account where Google can deposit your earnings.|
|5||Add Your Content: Use the Partner Center to add your e-books and audiobooks. This includes providing metadata, covers, pricing, and content files.|
|6||Set Prices: Decide on the prices for your e-books and audiobooks. You can also choose whether to enable DRM (Digital Rights Management).|
|7||Publish Your Content: After completing the setup and review process, your e-books and audiobooks will be available for sale on Google Play Books.|
Has your favorite book ever been hard to find? If so, don’t worry because you can easily add it to Google Books. All you have to do is follow the three simple steps below!
Find the book you wish to upload on the internet with “add book” or “book submission” in your search engine. Make sure that your search engine brings up results with this particular title for easier access later. Click on the first link listed under “Add this Book.”
To upload your digital books to Google Play Books, you can easily do so from the website using your Google Drive account or your computer. Follow these simple steps:
Steps to Add Your Book on the Google Books Platform
- Open Google Play and select My Books. If prompted, log in to your Google account.
- Click on Upload files to browse for the e-book you want to upload.
- If you’re uploading a book from your computer, go to the Upload tab. If you’re uploading a book from your Google Drive account, look under My Drive to choose the e-book you want to upload.
- Once you have chosen all the books you want to upload, click on the Select button.
- Your items may take a few minutes to have cover art appear. Note that in some cases, the cover art won’t appear at all, and you’ll have a generic cover or the first page of the book. Unfortunately, there’s no known solution to fix this problem at this time, but customizable covers may be added in the future.
To add PDF and EPUB files to your Google Play Books library, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Play Books app on your device.
- Tap on your profile picture located at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Play Books settings” from the dropdown menu.
- Check the box next to “Enable PDF uploading” if you want to upload a PDF file. This step is not necessary if you want to upload an EPUB file.
- Download the PDF or EPUB file to your device.
- Open your Downloads or Files app to find the downloaded file.
- Tap and hold the file until a menu appears.
- Select “Open With” and then choose “Play Books” or “Upload to Play Books”.
- The file will be uploaded to your Google Play Books library. To find it, go to “Library” and then select “Uploads”.
Alternatively, you can upload PDF and EPUB files to Google Play Books through Gmail:
- Attach the PDF or EPUB file you want to upload to an email.
- Send the email to yourself.
- Open the email on your device and tap the attachment.
- Select “Upload to Play Books”.
- The file will be uploaded to your Google Play Books library, and you can find it in “Library” under “Uploads”.
Tip: You only need to check “Enable PDF uploading” if you want to upload a PDF. You can upload an EPUB from your email without changing settings in the Play Books app.
That’s it! With these simple steps, you can add PDF and EPUB files to your Google Play Books library and enjoy reading them on your device.
Google Books has an amazing database that makes finding specific books very easy. For example, I could search for ‘Screaming Eagles’ and get a list of books named that. Or I can search for ‘World War 1’ to find all the books on World War 1, or maybe even just the ones by Ken Follett. Let’s look at how it works!
Uploading books to Google Play Books can be a straightforward process, but sometimes you might encounter issues. Here are some troubleshooting tips to help you resolve any problems:
- Check the format of your book: Google Play Books only supports EPUB and PDF formats. If your book is in a different format, such as MOBI, you will need to convert it using a document converter program like Calibre. Note that DRM-protected books are not supported.
- Check the number of books you have uploaded: Google currently allows you to upload a maximum of 2,000 books to Google Play Books. If you have exceeded this limit, you will need to prioritize the documents you want to store in the cloud or consider using multiple accounts to manage your uploads.
- Check your Google account: If you upload a book and it later disappears, it is possible that you uploaded it to the wrong Google account. Make sure you are logged in to the correct account before uploading any books. If you have uploaded a book to the wrong account, download it from Google Play Books and then re-upload it to the correct account.
- Check the size of your book: Google Play Books has a maximum file size limit of 2GB, including cover image files. If your book is larger than this, you won’t be able to upload it. In such cases, you may need to consider compressing your file or uploading it to another cloud storage service.
Searching Your Book:
First, you have to find your book to add it, so let’s see how this works!
Open up a new tab, and go to Google Books at books.google.com. Type in your favorite book, or maybe one you have recently read, into the search bar. In this example, I will use The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Here’s what it looked like when I typed in The Great Gatsby, but yours will be different depending on what you choose.
You can scroll through the pages of Google Books results with the arrows at the bottom right. Click on any result that looks like your book, and it will bring up a new page for it. For example, I chose this one:
The cover will show up first, followed by some basic information about the book. At the bottom, there is an ‘Add to library’ button where you can add it to your Google Books library.
2. Searching for more than one book
If you are trying to find multiple similar books, then this will be very useful for you!
Type in your search terms, and choose ‘Books’ from the drop-down menu.
It will bring up a list of all the books that match your search, and for each book, you can add it to My Library. You can even use more than one set of search terms at a time! For example:
Type in two sets of publishing on Google Books
Publishers and authors who want to distribute their professional content through Google Books can use digital publishing tools and workflows already used by many publishers today. Google is working with a variety of partners and distribution options for publishers:
- Digital publishing platform providers that offer templates for uploading books to Google Books
- Book printers that can produce Google Editions from existing print-on-demand files
Google Books and Google Play Books
Google Books and Google Play Books are two related but distinct services provided by Google.
Google Books is a vast digital library project that aims to scan and digitize books and other printed materials. It was launched in 2004 and has since scanned millions of books from various sources, including libraries, publishers, and authors. Users can search for books, view previews, and even download full texts of books that are out of copyright or available for free. Google Books also offers a search feature that allows users to search the full text of books for specific words or phrases.
Google Play Books, on the other hand, is a digital platform that allows users to purchase and read e-books and audiobooks. Launched in 2010 as Google eBooks, it was later rebranded as Google Play Books to fit in with other services offered by Google. Users can access Google Play Books from their web browsers or through the Google Play Books mobile app, which is available on both Android and iOS devices.
One of the advantages of using Google Play Books is that users can upload their own e-books in EPUB or PDF format to the service, which can then be accessed from any device. The service also offers a wide selection of e-books and audiobooks that can be purchased and downloaded directly to the user’s device. Additionally, Google Play Books offers a variety of customization options, such as font size and style, background color, and line spacing, to suit users’ preferences.
Google Books and Google Play Books are both valuable resources for readers and researchers alike. While Google Books offers access to a vast digital library of scanned books and other printed materials, Google Play Books provides users with a convenient and customizable platform for purchasing and reading e-books and audiobooks.
Benefits of listing your book on Google Books platform
Listing your book on Google Books can provide several benefits, including:
- Increased Visibility: Google Books is a widely recognized platform that can help increase the visibility of your book to potential readers. When you list your book on Google Books, it becomes searchable on the Google search engine, making it more discoverable to readers around the world.
- Access to a Large Audience: Google Books has a massive audience of users who are actively searching for books and information. By listing your book on the platform, you have the opportunity to reach millions of users, which can increase your book’s potential for sales and exposure.
- Free Promotion: Google Books offers free promotion for authors by featuring their books in the “New and Notable” section, which can lead to increased visibility and sales.
- Data Insights: Google Books provides data insights that can help authors and publishers make informed decisions about their books. You can track how many people view your book’s page, how many clicks it receives, and even how many people purchase your book.
- Control over your Book’s Metadata: By listing your book on Google Books, you have complete control over your book’s metadata, including the book’s title, author name, description, and keywords. This allows you to optimize your book’s page to attract the right audience.
- Revenue Opportunities: Google Books offers revenue opportunities for authors and publishers by allowing them to sell their books through the Google Play Books store. You can set the price of your book and earn a percentage of the sales revenue.
In summary, listing your book on Google Books can provide numerous benefits, including increased visibility, access to a large audience, free promotion, data insights, control over your book’s metadata, and revenue opportunities.
List of Platforms to upload your E Books & Audio Books
Here are some popular platforms to upload your e-book:
- Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP)
- Apple Books
- Barnes & Noble Press
- Kobo Writing Life
Each platform has its own set of features, requirements, and royalty rates, so it’s important to do some research and choose the one that best suits your needs as an author.
With the huge number of Google users worldwide, it is a no-brainer to create a way to add books. If you didn’t know this already, you could add your books!