The Google Books Ngram Viewer is a tool that allows users to search and compare the frequency of words and phrases in a corpus of books. The corpus includes books from a wide range of languages and time periods, and it is continuously updated with new books. The Ngram Viewer can be used to track the popularity of words and phrases over time, and to compare the usage of different words and phrases. The tool is accessible via Google Books website. The Ngram Viewer is a digital tool that allows you to enter a word or phrase and then displays a graph showing how often that word or phrase appears in a corpus of books over time. This can be useful for researchers, writers, and anyone else who is interested in the use of language over time.
Books Ngram Viewer Features
The Google Books Ngram Viewer has several features that allow users to search and analyze the corpus of books in various ways:
- Search functionality: Users can enter one or more words or phrases and view a graph showing the frequency of those words or phrases in the corpus over time.
- Advanced search options: Users can specify the case sensitivity, the part of speech of the word, the time period to search, the corpus to search, and the language to search in.
- Comparison functionality: Users can compare the frequency of multiple words or phrases in the same graph, which allows them to see how the usage of different words or phrases has changed over time.
- Download and share functionality: Users can download the data used in the graph as a CSV file, and they can also share a link to the graph with others.
- Smoothing: The tool applies a smoothing algorithm to the data to reduce the impact of fluctuations in the data.
- Wildcard search: Users can use wildcards (*) to search for words that match a certain pattern.
- Collocation search: Users can search for bigrams and trigrams to see the words that often appear together in books.
- Poisson-based intervals: Users can view the results with confidence intervals that were generated using a Poisson-based method to give an idea of the uncertainty of the data.
- Data Filtering: Users can filter the results by part of speech, case-sensitivity, and more.
- Filtering by Year Range: Users can filter the data by year range to view a specific time period.
The Ngram Viewer is a powerful tool that can be used to track the popularity of words and phrases over time, and to compare the usage of different words and phrases.
How to use books ngram viewer
Using the Google Books Ngram Viewer is relatively simple and straightforward. Here are the basic steps to use the tool:
- Go to the Google Books Ngram Viewer website (https://books.google.com/ngrams)
- In the “Enter a word or phrase” field, type in the word or phrase you want to search for. You can enter multiple words or phrases, separated by commas.
- Select the corpus and the year range you want to search in. The default corpus is “English” and the default year range is “1800-2000”.
- Click on the “Search” button to generate the graph.
- The graph will show the frequency of the word or phrase over time. You can click and drag on the graph to zoom in on a specific time period.
- To compare multiple words or phrases, you can enter them in the “Enter a word or phrase” field, separated by commas.
- You can use the “smoothing” slider to adjust the level of smoothing applied to the data.
- To download the data as a CSV file, you can use the “Download” button.
- To share the graph with others, you can use the “Share” button and provide the URL that is generated.
- To refine your search you can use the advanced options on the right sidebar, to filter by language, case-sensitivity, and part of speech.
The Ngram Viewer can be used to track the popularity of words and phrases over time, and to compare the usage of different words and phrases. It’s a powerful tool for researchers, writers, and anyone else who is interested in the use of language over time.